Monday, January 11, 2010

Black n' Blue Crumble Pie

Last week I posed a question on Facebook asking what king of top crust I should try for my next pie. Based on those suggestions I wanted to try and do a lattice top. Unfortunately I didn't do it right and I did and epic fail :( I tried to do it while the filling was hot and was unable to weave it. The dough just melted and it got really messy.
I was out of the necessary ingredients to make more regular crust so I needed to improvise. I decided that a crumbly kind of crust might work. I had a box of Oatmeal Squares cereal that I didn't really enjoy as a breakfast cereal. But it is a pretty good texture for baking. So I just crushed some of those (the recipe below says 1 1/2 cups but I can't remember exactly how much I used, best to just eyeball it) and added it to a brown sugar sauce. It seemed to work just fine. You can of course make a different type of crumbly topping using other kinds of cereal; I could see it working with Golden Grahams or Cinnamon Toast Crunch as well. If I try this again I think I might use less sugar all around.


Left: Pie filling that is thick. Centre: Ingredients. Right: Adding Berries and butter.

Filling:
3/4 c. sugar
1 c. blueberry/blackberry juice
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. blueberries
1 1/2 c. blackberries
2 tbsp. flour
1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. butter

Top Crust:
1 1/2 c. crushed Oatmeal Squares cereal
6 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. butter


Filling:
1. Combine sugar, salt, flour, and cornstarch; mix well.
2. Add juice; cook until thickened.
3. Add berries and butter, stir till butter is melted.
4. Put into bottom crust (of your choice).

Top Crust:
5. Melt butter and brown sugar.
6. Add crushed Oatmeal Squares cereal; mix well.
7. Cover Pie with top crust evenly.
8. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

No comments: