Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Eggplant Dishes Part 2


Asparagus Eggplant Wraps on white rice with a bun.
For the second part of my eggplant dishes I would like to present a dish that was inspired by a trip to the Granville Island Market that I took with some family members over the Christmas holidays. At the market one of the food vendors was selling a piece of feta cheese that was wrapped in a slice of grilled eggplant and held together with a toothpick. I tried it and was intrigued.

Last week I finally decided to do something similar. I like to use ingredients that I have at the house, and I didn't have any feta so I needed to improvise. My room mate had boiled a bunch of asparagus spears for his dinner but did not eat them all and let me use some to try out a new dish. I would like to present this dish simply as, 'Asparagus Eggplant Wraps'

Asparagus Eggplant Wraps

5 to 10 asparagus spears, boiled
1 small eggplant sliced thinly length-wise
1/4 C BBQ sauce (or marinade of your choice)
1 C shredded cheese

Note: The amount of all of these ingredients depends on how well you can slice the eggplant. If you can make lots of good slices then you can make lots of good wraps! If they are too thick or too thin they will not work as well.

1. Slice the eggplant length-wise, not too thin that it can't wrap or too thin that it falls apart.

2. Layer the marinade with the eggplant slices so that the eggplant slices can absorb the flavor. Let it sit for a few hours.

Marinade

3. Fry the eggplant slices in a frying pan until they are not covered in wet sauce anymore.

Fry
4. Remove the eggplant slices from the frying pan and onto a cutting board. Cover one side of each slice with cheese, then place the asparagus spear near the end of the slice. I like to place the spear so there is a bit of shaft before the eggplant, then cut the bottom of the shaft off so there is equal amount of asparagus on each side of the eggplant.

Wrap
5. When an asparagus spear is wrapped, impale it on a skewer; place about 5 wraps on each skewer. If you can, balance each skewer on the edges of an oven pan so that none of the wraps are touching the pan. Broil in the oven till the cheese is melted and begins to harden.

Broil
Again, I must stress that the amount you can make depends on how well you can slice the eggplant. But I believe it is possible to get 10 or even 12 wraps out of an eggplant. Good luck and enjoy!

1 comment:

Gail said...

Good job on the buns!!! Sorry but eggplant really is not my thing. :(