Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Carrom Boards and worship woes.

Today I received a new letter from Priyam, my sponser child from India. He wrote me to tell me what he had purchased for himself and his twin brother with some birthday money he had received. He got some jam, jelly, biscuits, a shirt and (most exciting of all...) a carrom board. When I read the letter I had no idea what a carrom board was, beyond some sort of game.




Carrom is a game that is like a cross between shuffleboard and pool/billiards. The object of the game is to sinnk all your peices (disc/puck, called "carrom men") like pool or billiards but this is accomplished by using your hands to slide a larger disc called a striker at the carrom men to sink them, kind of like shuffle board. It sounds like a fun game! Since I trust that Wikipedia is infinately better at explaining the details better than I am, I will leave it to the experts:









In other news Iattended a meeting about worship at the church I am attending this summer, Living Hope CRC in Abbotsford BC. It certianly is a different culture than the one that I have been involved with for the past 8 months a The King's University College (TKUC) in Edmonton Alberta.

My main woe is that I as a musician am not really allowed to worship as I think is meaningful. I am giving a list of songs to play bass for and that is what I play. Here the worship teams have little say in what type of music gets played. At TKUC the worship teams were allowed to organize the service comepletely allowing for a service that is meaningful to them.

But I suppose that the community here is very different and if the worship is ever going to change, the community needs to change a bit first. Hopefully a new more open community will form, one that is torelate of any type of worship that comes along...

No comments: