Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sour Key


This morning I decided to visit my Friends Julia and Trevor at First Christian Reformed Church of Vancouver where they now preach. I am glad that the church was quite easy to get to from where I live in Abbotsford.

1st CRC of Vancouver church has a good community. Often if a stranger goes to a new church the regulars tend not to welcome them or even pay much attention to new people. But I definately welcomed at this church. During the service an old lady even gave me a sour key candy!

Even though I only came there this morning to visit Julia and Trevor, I ended up being introduced to many other young adults my age as well as a few other older adults. The young adults even invited me to come and have lunch with them at a Thai restaurant down on "The Drive". Talking with them over my yellow curry with potato, onions, rice, and salad dish I discovered that our churches face similar issues. No longer are we a church that caters to the needs of Dutch immagrants, but we have grown to a point where we need to serve the diverse community that we are a part of.

What is the role of a "College and Careers" group in community life? How can we help? How can we strentghen relationships between older and younger generations of beleivers? So many questions. I am glad that I could be there, an outsider soaking it all up.

If anyone in the lower mainland this summer who knows Julia and Trevor from their time in Edmonton and at King's last year want to drop in and say Hi to them let me know. I would love to go there as a group of King's students. Julia would love to see some more faces as well! And by the way, Julia and Trevor are expecting a child!
cya later,
Kenneth

No comments: