Saturday, May 29, 2010

Swirly White and Green Bread

Green and White!

Swirly!

Nice Shape!

Marbled Buns!

I wanted to try a different technique to the way I normally make a bread loaf. I found a book at a public library book sale called 'Artisan Baking Across America' by Maggie Glezer. This book has been very helpful in showing me some new techniques and also stories about various bakers and bakeries across North America. Normally I would just place the risen bread dough into the loaf pan without shaping it much before baking it. Instead I first flattened the dough out (after it had risen for an hour) into a large rectangle folded the dough so it was the length of the pan, then finally rolled it up. The result was a loaf that was quite uniform and familiar to a loaf that I would buy at the grocery store for making regular sandwiches.

Of course I just had to add a twist to the recipe! For quite awhile now I have been considering a bag of pea flour that I saw at the grocery store and what it would be like to use it for bread making. I imagined since the flour was green in colour, the bread would also be green in colour. But after reading the label I had the feeling it would not be as green as I was imagining it to be. So I also bought some green food dye to be on the safe side!

I followed a white bread recipe but included the pea flour and green food dye into half of the recipe. It was neat to work with dough that had such an unusual colour. After folding up the white and green doughs according to the length of the loaf pan I placed the green dough on top of the white dough. Then I trimmed the edges to produce a long rectangles that fit over each other perfectly. Once rolled it produces a nice swirly pattern with a green centre. With the leftover dough from trimming I made several small marbled buns.
Note: I don't have any pictures of the bread after it was sliced because I can't seem to find my card reader. But I assure you, it is quite white green and swirly!

No comments: