Tuesday, June 8, 2010

More Swirly Goodness









Last Friday my friend and fellow avid baker Nicole came over to bake some loaves with me. We were both intrigued at how my last swirly bread turned out and wanted to try something more dramatic... White and Chocolate Swirl Bread.
We used a basic white bread recipe and a chocolate loaf recipe that I found on someone else's blog ( http://familynature.wordpress.com/2009/04/21/chocolate-loaf-this-is-something-everyone-should-try/ ). There are many recipes for chocolate bread and many ways to mix chocolate in with bread. some, like this one, are actual loaves of bread with cocoa in them. Others use chocolate pastes, sauces, or chips to create more of a dessert bread. We chose this particular recipe because it was very similar to the recipe we were using for the white bread. The procedure and ingredients were similar. This made for a simple and fun bread making experience that produced some great breads.
We ended up making a few different items. First we made two loaves of White and Chocolate Swirl Bread. The pattern turned out great and the texture between the two breads were consistent. It was awesome to see the contrast in colour between the white and chocolate breads swirlled together. Also, the cocoa in the chocolate bread was good enough to produce the lasting and delicious smell and taste of chocolate, yum!
After these two loaves we had so much leftover dough that we could have made a third loaf, but decided to split the dough and make a few other creations! Nicole made a bunch of cinnamon buns while I made a strudel using some leftover cherry filling I had in the fridge. These two creations were of course marbled with white and chocolate bread.
I look forward to more times when I can bake with and for my friends, it is a joy to share this experience with others.

2 comments:

meredow said...

Hey Ken!
I've recently gotten back into making bread without a bread maker, and it's such a satisfying experience! Your latest blogs about the swirl breads taught me how to shape the loaves nicely, & also make me hungry for the chocolate swirl loaf :)

Family Nature said...

Hey, looks great! Thanks for linking.