Thursday, September 6, 2007

A letter to people: life at TKUC so far

Well,
I started work, school, and living in the apartments this week. I'm not terribly eager about any of them really. School is OK i guess, I have 2 "creative projects" that I can do in lieu of a research paper and I think I want to attempt to do that. One is for Abnormal Psychology with Dr. Sneep and I think that I want to do something with Alzheimer's because my grandpa has a severe case of it and I want to honor him with this project. I just don't know what kind of creative project to do or what that will look like. The other is Cognition with Dr. Looy which I don't know how to handle either yet. I wanted to do something related to blogging or online collaboration (such as the stuff found at the ORG, http://www.zefrank.org). But I don't think that topic fits with the course, maybe next semester.

Apart from those two courses I am also in Psychology of Personality with Dr.(?) Van Belle, Psychology of Exceptional Children and Adolescence with Doschak, and finally The Human Nature Of Evil with Dr. Martins.

Funny story about Psychology of Exceptional Children and Adolescence course; One the first class the professor didn't show up but about 10 minute into the class, when everyone was still waiting for the professor to show up, my friend Salima decided to go to the washroom. When she returned she pretend to be the professor. I was laughing and she asked me in from of the class" what was so funny?" and I replied "Nothing!" After that she got everyone in the class to introduce their name to the class. After everyone introduced themselves, she asked the class what they expected to learn in this class and the room fell silent. Then an older lady gave a timid response thinking that Salima really was the professor. Ah, poor old lady... Then Salima finally admitted that she was not the professor and that she was just having some fun. But Salima did a good job at pretending. She fooled some people despite my laughter early on, Good job! Funnest. First. Class. Ever.

As for work, well, allot has changed some for better and some for worse. Better: Easier for me to put things away, slightly better pay... worse: More dirty dishes and cooking tools, a kitchen staff that doesn't know what to do with really dirty dishes, a kitchen staff that doesn't know what to do with dirty plates bowls and cutlery, very dirty kitchen tools not put into the sink, a generally unorganized kitchen, no time to eat dinner with the student population, a meal that I need to heat up after work, having to do more work... Having dinner with others is something i miss allot, having a warm cooked meal with friends was awesome. I felt part of the community then but now I am part of the community of King's. Maybe I don't need this job for the same reasons. Maybe if I'm not happy there I should go elsewhere...

No comments: