Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Kulfi

Working in an Indian restaurant has a few perks.  I get to eat delicious food, enjoy a cup of tea, and also I get to learn a few things about preparing Indian food.  Recently I have been asked to get more involved in desserts.  At Karma we have a few different desserts, but my favourites are definitely the ice creams and the ice cream like products; namely mango ice cream and kulfi. 

Kulfi is similar to ice cream but has a lighter texture and a creamier taste in my opinion.  It is traditionally available in flavours such as pistachio, rose, mango and saffron but can also be made using more convenient ingredients.  At Karma we make pistachio kulfi that is garnished with falooda noodles and rose syrup.

I talked to one of my co-workers about sharing the restaurants recipe, but he didn’t seem enthusiastic about sharing the recipe with everyone.  Basically Kulfi is made with cream, condensed milk, evaporated milk and desired flavouring.  Several recipes are available on the internet if you are interested.

When I made it at home I flavoured the kulfi with banana and mango.  I used 4 frozen bananas and 4 fresh mangos.  In hindsight, I suggest finding canned mango or mango pulp if you want mango flavour; peeling mangos can get messy!  I made about 2 liters of kulfi; enough for a large bowl to share with a friend and to use in a pie!

1007282034000

For the pie I used a pre-made pie shell, banana mango kulfi for the filling and a meringue topping.  I failed at the meringue, but it still tasted great. 

No comments: