Monday, August 30, 2010

Day 1: Calgary

SAM_0196

I have begun my 2 month bus trip of North America and my first stop is Calgary.  Some friends have commented that Edmonton feels like a town in comparison to Calgary.  And now that I have visited Calgary on my own since living in Edmonton, I can see why.  Calgary’s downtown has many more skyscrapers than Edmonton does and seems more dense.  Calgary definitely feels more city like. 

SAM_0167

The first overnight bus trip was pretty good.  It wasn’t full and I managed to get some sleep.  On my first day out of Edmonton I nearly got lost trying to find the downtown HI Hostel.  I blame it completely on the quadrant system that is centered in the middle of the city.  I went west when I should of went east.  But don’t worry, I eventually found it.

Today’s activities consisted of the Calgary Tower and a self guided tour of the downtown core.  I must admit the cost to take the elevator up to the top was pricey but I think the photos and the view is worth it.  The glass floor was a lot of fun,  especially to see people who were afraid to go on it, lol.  Front the view up there I thought that many of the buildings seem to built to display their most unique sides and features towards the tower, such as roof top art meant to be seen at a distance.

SAM_0199

SAM_0214

SAM_0207

I will be here to Wednesday morning when I will head out to Drumheller for a day.  Tomorrow I plan to go to the zoo and explore some other, non-downtown, areas of the city.

That is all for now!  I hope to check in again after Drumheller, but I may have to wait till Winnipeg.  We will see.

1 comment:

Gail said...

I'm not sure I would stand on the glass part, kinda freaky!