Thursday, September 2, 2010

Day 3: Drumheller

SAM_0431

After spending another day in Calgary, visiting the zoo and walking around 17 Ave. SW,  I made the short bus trip Drumheller; the dinosaur capital of the world.  Drumheller has always been on my list of places to go and I am very glad that I finally got the chance to visit it.  The bus schedule worked out so that I could arrive there around noon and leave around midnight. This turned out to be an adequate amount of time for the small town of Drumheller. 

My first priority in Drumheller was to visit the world renowned Royal Tyrrell Museum to check out some bones.  It was awesome to see such a large amount of fossils on display and read up on information ranging from the Cambrian period up to the present Holocene Period;  It made me think of the computer game ‘Spore’. 

SAM_0487  

My favourite displays are definitely the larger dinosaurs;  it’s hard to believe creatures like this roamed the earth and swam the oceans.  Being a bird lover I was also intrigued by the similarity and evolution between some dinosaurs and birds.

SAM_0475

SAM_0469

After the museum I had plenty of time to explore the town of Drumheller, specifically the downtown area.  The downtown area reminded me of the fictional town of Castlerock from the film ‘Stand by me’.  Many of the buildings were old and looked as if they belonged in the fifties.  There were more coffee/tea houses in the neighbourhood (run from people’s homes?)  but unfortunately most of them closed Gus’ Corner Restaurant’  and took in a movie across the street;  that seemed to be the thing to do on a Wednesday night.  Other than the movie theatre that ran shows at 7:30 PM Tuesday through Sunday, downtown was quite dead.  At the corner store that operated the Greyhound terminal (The only place open till 11PM) I met a cashier there who grew up in Abbotsford of all places…  what are the chances!

SAM_0557

SAM_0555

No comments: