Thursday, September 9, 2010

Day 11: Winnipeg to Eau Claire

 

Early Tuesday morning I left my friends in Winnipeg to make my first of two border crossings into the USA.  I was a bit nervous that I would have a big problem at the border because I will be travelling so much within the US for such a long period of time.  They were less concerned with me being a terrorist and more concerned about me running out of money since I am not working for 2 months.  I assure d them as I assure you now that everything will be ok on that front.  Overall I find crossing the border by bus extremely hassle free.  The customs officials didn’t even check any luggage, just asked questions and looked at my ID and papers.  I came prepared with a rough itinerary, an address of my next stop, and a date that my travels would probably end back in Canada. 

After the border crossing I stayed the night in Minneapolis, my first time at a non ‘Hostelling International’ Hostel.  It felt a bit more run down and dirty then the one in Calgary, but it was good enough for me.  I don’t have a picture of it, but it was basically an old mansion converted into a hostel with many many rooms.  I stayed on the top floor in a 15 person room with only 2 other beds filled. 

I was not planning on staying in Minneapolis but the next day I had several hours to walk around before my bus to Eau Claire.  I didn’t bother going to the Mall of America because I knew West Edmonton Mall was bigger and better ;P  I was pleasantly surprised to see some great architecture in downtown Minneapolis.  One of their government buildings reminded me of Canada:

SAM_0794

SAM_0798

Minneapolis is also the home to the first Roman Catholic Basilica of America, The Basilica of St. Mary.  Or, at least that is what the sign says:

SAM_0835

SAM_0834

After sightseeing in Minneapolis for a few hours I took a bus out to Eau Claire Wisconsin to visit my sister Emily and my brother in law John.  Emily is going to school for an education degree and is in her sophomore year.  John has one more semester to go before he is finished his English Degree.  Emily showed me around downtown Eau Claire and also where they go to school.  Later, they took me out to a unique restaurant for dinner (I forgot the name!) where we enjoyed a good meal and good conversation.  We even had pie, which was awesome!

SAM_0845 

Now I have just arrived in Chicago early in the morning where I continue to travel eastward and onward.

1 comment:

Gail said...

Hey Em & John, good to see you!! I miss you both!