Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day 14: Chicago

Chicago is always a place that I have been interested in seeing; mainly to see all of the famous architecture. Many of the building there have been preserved and well maintained instead of being torn down to make new structures. When I first arrived at the hostel and took a walk around the downtown neighbourhood known as ‘The Loop’ I was blown away by the number, density, and height of the skyscrapers in this area. I knew that Chicago was the birthplace of the skyscraper, but I was still amazed. Walking along S. Michigan Ave. and looking down the streets to the west all I could see was skyscraper next to skyscraper next to skyscraper.

SAM_0846

I took a ride up to the top of the Willis Tower (formally Sears Tower) to get a different perspective of the city. Unlike the Calgary Tower, I found that the buildings, for the most part, were not designed to look cool from the Willis tower. I suspect that this is because all of these buildings ‘grew up’ together and were all in competition for highest building at one point. A tour guide I met told me that everything in Chicago is created to look very elaborate and very fancy.

SAM_0892

Another structure I was very interested in seeing in Chicago was the ‘Cloud Gate’ in Millennium Park. Known locally as ‘The Bean’ it is a chrome bean pod shaped structure that is very reflective. Walking on the east side it reflects the Michigan Lake shore, while on the west side it reflects the buildings on the other side of S. Michigan Ave. It is even possible to walk underneath the structure where the reflections get really crazy!

SAM_0859 SAM_0857

SAM_0860

Being in Chicago also signifies my first visit to the great lakes and the first time I have been to a lake where I can’t see the other side. It was like being at the ocean but it didn’t smell the same. Lake Michigan and Lake Huron are, technically speaking, the same body of water which makes it debatably the largest lake in the world. Once again I was blessed with great weather to walk along the lakeshore from the Navy Pier to the Buckingham fountain.

SAM_0948

On my last night in Chicago I went with a group of other Hostellers to go to ‘The Green Mill’, the ganster Al Capone’s imfamous prohibition era Jazz club. Apparently there are still places where liquor can be hidden beneath the floor boards. Here we saw a great Jazz performance featuring drums, bass, and two guitars. Chicago is known for its ‘cool jazz’ which features lower notes and is opposed to ‘hot jazz’ which features higher notes and is more common in New Orleans.

SAM_0989

And finally, one more picture I want to share today is of Billy Goats Tavern made famous by Saturday Night Live’s john Belushi. Cheezborger Cheezborger Cheezborger No Pepsi… Coke!

SAM_0928

I will add more photos to my facebook album later. Now I am headed back to Canada via Niagara Falls!

No comments: