Friday, August 13, 2010

Please Sir, Can I Have S’more?

I am sorry that I have been ominously silent as of late.  I would not say that I am too busy to blog, but rather I am too lazy!  Lately I have been watching LOST (all 6 seasons), playing Starcraft II, and getting everything ready for my big trip.  But now that I am nearly done both LOST and Starcraft II I am ready to try blogging again.

I have also had some time to spend baking when I am not working each night at Karma (an Indian Restaurant).  This brings me to the tipic of today’s blog:  S’mores.  A while ago I was at a friends place and was treated to a S’more and it got my creative juices flowing.  Naturally I wanted to know if I could make a S’more themed Pie;  I made 2.  Each of them are made of the essential S’more ingredients of Graham Cracker, Chocolate, and Marshmallow.

In the first Pie, which I will call, “Fudgesicle S’more Pie”  I used a store bought graham crust, chocolate pudding and a marshmallow sauce as a topping.  The marshmallow sauce can be found here.  There isn’t really  much to this recipe other than the marshmallow sauce.  Just put it all together, put it in the oven at 400F till the marshmallow sauce turns golden/brown.  Keep it in the freezer  to make the filling taste like a fudgesicle.

1007111915000

 

In the second S’more pie, “Graham Crumb S’more Pie”, I again used a store bought graham crust, but this time I put mini marshmallows in it, topped with a chocolate sauce and graham crumbs.  I felt that having the pie surrounded with graham better represented a S’more than the first pie.  Like the first pie, there isn’t much work involved in assembling it other than the sauce. I was hoping that the sauce and the marshmallows would have stayed separated while it was baking so it would be while and brown inside, but they ended up melting together.

1008041917000

1 Graham Pie Crust

enough mini marshmallows to nearly fill the pie crust

2 Tbsp butter

2 Tbsp all purpose flour (use more as needed)

1 C. chocolate milk

1 C. semi sweet chocolate chips

Enough graham crumbs to cover the pie completely

 

The chocolate sauce is made in a roux style:

1. Melt butter, then at low heat add flour to produce a thick paste.

2.  Add chocolate milk a little bit at a time and stir it into the paste until it becomes a thick sauce.  Continue until ass the milk is added.

3. Add the chocolate chips until they are all melted.

 

Assembling the pie:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.

2. Fill the pie crust with mini marshmallows almost to the top of the crust.

3. Pour the chocolate sauce on top of the marshmallows.

4. Sprinkle the graham crumbs evenly and completely on top of the chocolate sauce.

5. Bake for 30 minutes or until the graham crumbs turn brown.  Don’t let them burn black!

6. Let the pie cool then place in the fridge or freezer to keep it solid. Also, the extra graham crumbs may be shaken off at this point.

 

Anyway, that is all for now.  I have one more blog on back log, but I will talk about it later.

No comments: