Monday, August 27, 2007

Flora Lake Hike

On Saturday I went for one last hike in the mountains before I head east to the "hills" of Edmonton. Gerry, Jason and I headed up to Chilliwack Lake Provincial Park to hike up to Flora lake which is in the same area as Lindamen and Greedndrop lakes that I hiked to previously.



I have to admit that I really enjoyed this hike. compared to the Lindamen/Greendrop (Post Creek) route, the trail to Flora lake travels through open forest. It allows for stunning views of Chilliwack lake and all the campsites to the south. The view would have been even more stunning if the clouds were not there, But I love clouds so I can't complain. The trail first goes to a peak before descending towards the lake. Above the tree line we reached so pretty nice meadowland near a peak. The descent down to the lake is steep and windy as the scenery changes from meadowland to thick forest. In the thicker forest areas we saw many different types of mushrooms and fungi, I took pictures of some but definitely not all. then we reached Flora lake. In my opinion, there really wasn't anything too spectacular about the destination. The journey was more spectacular.



After reaching the lake we took a trail that leads back to the Post Creek train that runs between Lindaman and Greendrop lakes. This part of the trail was really annoying because it involves crossing several large rock slide areas. not good on the feet, not good. Back on the Post creek trail we could see that some improvements were recently made to the campgrounds and trails. New tent platforms, signs and stairs were installed along the path. After 8 hours of hiking, I was glad to give my feet a rest!



Here are a few pictures, but if you want to see more visit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ktims82/








And Ross, here is something for you:

http://www.vimeo.com/288438

No comments: