Monday, August 6, 2007

Agrifair

On Saturday I went to the Agrifair, just to check it out, take sound pictures and such. The Agrifair is a fair where clubs such as 4-H display their best barnyard animals in order to have them judged. There are also fairgrounds with rides, prizes, gambling, music, and various other shows and vendors. I hadn't been there is several year, not since I was a kid.


At first I just wandered around looking at chicks (cheep! cheep!), asses (I like donkeys.), doves, pigeons, turkeys, cows, and horses (I swear some of those horses were over 8 feet tall, maybe even 9 feet!)

Then I arrived at the goat/pig barn at the back of the exibition grounds and ran into my good friends the Dykstras. The Dykstras had some of their goats there as well as their 3 pigs. I think some of the kids were playing violin as well, but I just missed them. Then I discovered that there was actually a scheduale of events and that I should check out some shows coming up sooon, so I did.

First I saw the duck and pig races. After alot of hype from the anouncer the Duck race began! My section was cheering for 2 ducks called "The Streakers" so named because they were apparnetly rescued from Wreck Beach, a famous nudist beach in Vancouver, and because they were the only team of ducks that didn't have a collar on and were completely naked... for a duck.

THe duck exploded out of the gate and ran up a slide, then slide down the slide into a small pool. the first duck to get out of the pool wins. And yes, The Streakers did win!

The pig race wasn't as memorable to me, I can't remember if my teams pig won or not.

Then I checked out the Lumberjack show where they had a competion between two teams of lumberjacks. It was more of a comedy then an actual competion. Competions included axe throwing, axe cutting, chainsaw cutting, tree climbing, log rolling, jousting on said log, and two person sawing. The competitors were always trying to cheat while the host wasn't looking, it was kind of funny but I would rather see an actuall lumberjack tournament.

Lastly I met up with Darren and Ann and we saw a circus in the gymnastics bulding. It seemed like they were showing some sort of story to the audience, but I don't think I completely understood it if they were. I don't know why they had one gymnist dressed up like a dragon jumping around climbing poles and stuff... Anyway, I must say that I don't think that I could join the circus and be an acrobat or trapeze artist or do that gymnist stuff. Its quite amazing what they can do with their bodies. probably requireds years of training.


And that is all I did at the Agrifair this year. I heard that the next day they had the Rodeo. I've never been to the rodeo and hope to check it out sometime.

No comments: