Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Lamuel: A view of Christianity

This blog is intended for anyone out there who loves Lamuel and all his friends at http://objectiveministries.org/ . Objective Ministries is not a Christian website, but rather a Christian parody that might be telling the world what some non Christians think about Christianity. The character Lamuel in the kids section produces images such as this one:

This image displays Lamuel, Objective Ministries christian mascot decapitating Habu the elephant (which represents religions with many gods) while Mr. Gruff the atheist runs out of harms way. When I look at this image, Christ's love does not come to mind.

If this is a Christian, I am ashamed to be one. I am ashamed of all that things that have been done in the name of Christianity such as the crusades, killing abortionists, trying to convert natives, money extorting televangelist to name a few. I am also ashamed of all the things that Christianity has neglected such as the poor, the homeless, the prisoner, the hungry, loving gay people, caring for people with AIDS., etc,... I am sorry for not being a vessel of God's love in this world. Please forgive me.

As a Christian, I like Lamuel because it forces me to re-evaluate my purpose in this world. Whenever I think about, or see Lamuel I will think "Am I really loving my neighbor today?" Lately this summer I have felt a bit guiltily of not loving my neighbor. I am part of a small group at church and we don't do anything to help those in our community. That really makes me quite ashamed.

Christ loves me and everyone else (yes everyone) in the world that he laid down his very life to save us. God says that the wages of sin is death. The sacrifice that Jesus made saves us from death. Jesus: Dying so you don't have to. I wish I would display love like the love that Jesus displayed.

If anyone is interested about reading more about Christian spirituality, I fully recommend "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller. Please feel free to leave comments. It's nice to know that people are listening, thanks!

1 comment:

meredow said...

Hey Ken!
I just found out about your blog through Facebook now, but this post has already gotten me thinking. Thanks for sharing what you have been challenged in, as it challenges me in areas which I do not often take time to reflect on. You pointed out many crucial areas where Jesus was most active and yet we (North American Christians) often ignore. I'll need to spend more time thinking about this, but it cannot end in only thoughts. It must lead to Spirit-guided action!