Sunday, July 29, 2007

Fireworks


Recently I have been thinking, after seeing fireworks, about war. War in other countries. I thought this because fireworks have lots of loud noises and lights. I imagine that in war-torn countries that when they hear loud explosions and crackles and see lights in the sky it is most likely due to a bomb ripping through a nearby building, someone firing a machine gun, or arocket launching to some unfortunate destination. How could we sit by and go "ohhh" and "ahhh" to these sights and sounds while people are dying around the world to similar sights and sounds? I considered boycotting fireworks altogether



































But then I thought, wait a minute... boycotting fireworks because they remind me of war is kind of ignorant. I am thankful that I realize that there is war out there and people are dying. I am glad that I have the insight to pull that out after going to the fireworks. I am sure that there are many people in the world who do not think about war and ignore it and just live in there own little world. Fireworks make me aware and that is a good thing.


So, last night I went with some friends to see the "HSBC Celebration of Lights" fireworks in Vancouver. I have to admit, I did have a very good time. We got there about 3 or 4 hours early to get a decent spot of ground on English Bay where the fireworks are launched from. I sat with a few new friends on the seawall at the southern tip of Stanley Park, right near the water. We had plenty of time to talk, get to know each other, and take pictures (more of my pictures can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ktims82/page1/ ). The fireworks started at 10pm and were quite amazing to see and hear.



They of course still reminded me of war but then I thought, 'What if there was peace everywhere on Earth? What if we didn't need bombs or guns anymore? What if we could turn all those weapons into fireworks and have a worldwide fireworks display as an act of celebration?'


When the fireworks ended we made our way back towards the Skytrain like so many other people. The streets were filled people marching from the beach to the closest train stop, Burrard station. So many people that cars had no choice but to stop and sit still.

Overall it was a great night... maybe I'll go next week to the finale. Here's a video clip of the beginning of the fireworks: http://www.vimeo.com/255331

No comments: