Monday, July 2, 2007

These are a few of my favorite things.

Today I thought that I would share with everyone a few of my favorite books and mythoughts about them. They are only numbered in the order I pick them up to write about them.
#1: Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

Over the Canada Day long weekend I have had two different people bring this book up in conversation. I absolutely love this book. To me it is abook about one man's real experience living an ordinary life with an extraordinary God. This book follows Donald Miller as he meets God, grows up, and takes Him to Reed College; a place not known for its Christianity. Blue Like Jazz reads very well. It is a good blend of interesting, gripping stories and thoughtful, well written essays. It even has a cartoon about Don Rabbit and Sexy Carrot in it if you like that sort of thing. (Hmm carrots, that a whole other story I won't get into.)





#2 The Meaning of Liff by Douglas Adams & John Lloyd
I found this at the TKUC silent book auction last semester and was fortunate enough not to have any classes when the auction ended so I could get the last bid in. So I picked this gem up for a mere $1.50 canadian! The Meaning of Liff is a dictionary that uses the names of towns and cities (mostly from the U.K. I beleive) and gives them a definition like a dictionary. For example I will choose a random word...
Burleston (n., vb.)
That particularly tuneless humming and whistling adopted by people who are extremely angery.
Burleston is probably a real place in England somewhere. I like this book because it give words to things that do happen every day but there is no usual word in the english language to properly describe them. I wonder if I am allowed to use the words found in this book in my academic writings.


#3 Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
As I have mentioned in a previous post, this book inspired me to get a hat. Anansi Boys has action, murder, fantasy, , romance,birds, spiders, cats, a lime, buses, planes, duppies, and a hat. It is the story of Fat Charlie Nancy's life after the death of his father and the arrival of his brother who has god like abilities. How will Fat Charlie be able to cope with all of these changes in his life?

Neil Gaiman is my favorite author and writes very good fantasy documents. I first started reading hos work thought the graphic novel series, The Sandman. I am always excited to see what he will produce in the future. I am especially excited for (what I consider) to be his first graphic novel/illustrated novel to be made into a major motion picture Stardust. (http://www.stardustmovie.com/) I think it hits theaters in August.






#4 Simplicity by Mark Salomon

Mark Salomon is the lead singer for the band Stavesacre and this book is his story. It chronicals his life and his experiences with God as he grows up to be who he is today. Mark Salomon is a person how has had to deal with much strife and growing pains. There are many stories about his childhood with his precristian parents and also his born again parents. Like anyone elses life there are ups and downs, a rollercoaster. Simplicity describes these ups and downs and sometimes I find that I can personally related to them. He struggles with his family, girlfriends, society, being labeled, annoyed, having exceptations as a christian placed on him as he lives his life. Like many of Donald Millers books, Mark Salomon offers a book that many people can related to whether they are Christian or not.








#5 Life of Pi by Yann Martel

I discovered this book through an introducory English course at TKUC. Basically my initial purpose for reading this book was of course to write an essay about it. My essay was titled "Strength of a Boy, Weakness of a Tiger." Life of Pi is a fictional story about a boy, Pi, who is forced to share a lifeboat with a 450 pound bengal tiger amongst other animals. Pi Patel and these animals are the only survivers of an entire zoo's ill fated journey across the Pacific Ocean, will they be able to survive the journey? or will their lives be lost at sea forever?
Life of Pi also offers a unique character through Pi Patel, a 16 year old Indian boy. Prior to the trip from India to America, Pi experiences a clash of different religious ideas and does not struggle with them as much as he experiences them much to the annoyance of his parents. I have heard a rumor that Life of Pi is being adapted to a motion picture and is being directed by M. Night Shamylan (sp?) I think he is a good choice asa director because he may have some insight into being Indian and could create this book from an Indian perspective much like Yann Martel has.

No comments: