Saturday, June 9, 2007

Fedora

From Neil Gaiman's novel, Anansi Boys:

-
His father made a "tch" noise and held the feather up to the light. "this is a beautiful feather," said his father. "You don't want it to get all manky. She won't take it back if it's all messed up." Mr. Nancy ran his hand over the feather, and it was perfect. He frowned at it. "Now, you'll just mess it up again." He breathed on his fingernails, polished them against his jacket. Then he seemed to have arrived at a decision. He removed his fedora and slipped the feather into the hatband. "Here. You could do with a natty hat anyway." He put the hat onto Fat Charlie's head. "It suits you," he said.

Fat Charlie sighed. "Dad. I don't wear hats. It'll look stupid. I'll look a complete tit. Why do you always try to embarrass me?" In the fading light, the old man looked at his son. "You think I'd lie to you? Son, all you need to wear a hat is attitude. And you got that. You think I'd tell you you looked good if you didn't? You look real sharp. You don't believe me?"

Fat Charlie said, "Not really."

"Look," said his father. He pointed over the side of the bridge. The water beneath them was still and smooth as a mirror, and the man looking up at him from the water looked real sharp in his new green hat.

Fat Charlie looked up to tell his father that maybe he had been wrong, but the old man was gone.

He stepped of the bridge into the dusk.
-


I just finished reading this book for the second time and I really enjoyed it... again. Every time I read it I consider getting a fedora for myself. A fedora is a really classy hat like one that Indiana Jones wears. After reading Anansi Boys this time, I decided to get me a fedora. It's not a green one like the one Fat Charlie gets from his father. I don't think I have enough attitude to wear a green fedora. I got a brown corduroy fedora that matches my brown corduroy jacket, I hope that I have enough attitude to at least pull that off!. Here are some pictures...






1 comment:

TheStuCrew said...

I'm not sold on the whole fedora thing... had one once. I like my Barmah much better. www.barmahhats.com.au It's a "1060 foldaway bronco" or so the tag says.